Wednesday 5 November 2014

The puzzling world of idioms.... B2 +

 The puzzling world of idioms...


Idioms, they can be entertaining, but why do we use them? Well, personally I love to use idioms... They make conversations more captivating, compelling, alluring and even amusing! All  languages have their own idioms... but most are lost in translation.  The best way to learn idioms, I find, is to learn about their origin.  But never translate them... they will not make sense in your own language! (but they will make for a good chuckle!)

Nothing to lose...


A person will take a risk knowing that they won't lose anything, or someone convinces them to invest in a product on the promise that they have 'nothing to lose'.


Literally speaking, we all do have something to lose! We could lose our lives... but it's a figure of speech.

"I know that you have fallen out with him many times, but why don't you just apologise? Come on! What have you got to lose?"

To jump on the bandwagon...

This is a fun idiom to use, a bandwagon, is a wagon used to transport musicians.  If you jump on the band wagon you are joining in with the fun! You can use this expression if you want to join any group of people doing an activity or behaving in a certain way.

"Everyone is signing up to go skiing.... I think I'll jump on the bandwagon and sign up too!"

Do you have similar idioms in your language?
Why don't you tell us about them?

Vocabulary 

captivating; (adj) capable of attracting and holding interest; charming.

compelling; (adj) evoking interest, attention, or admiration in a powerfully irresistible way.

alluring; (adj) powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating, seductive.

chuckle (noun) a quiet or suppressed laugh.

Would you like to improve your English? Are you taking an exam or does your job require you to speak English? I offer classes online, using Skype. Live and face to face. For more information contact Lisa. Email lis.j.grant@gmail.com.


3 comments:

Friendly Story Time said...

I would like to post more blogs to help my students learn English... What would you like to read about?

Ivan said...

Many thanks, Lisa. I should jump on some bandwagons right now, so I think this idiom is going to be quite useful for me here in England. Since I've been in England I've realised how important idioms are. It seems that being a foreign person here, native English speakers find funny if you know idioms and use them, which make the conversation more enjoyable and fluent. As a result, one feels much more comfortable and confident with his English. So a bit more idioms would be great!!! Thanks!!

Friendly Story Time said...

Your wish is my command! ;)

Followers